Everyone Just Wants to Look Healthy Right Now | Naturally Healthy Makeup Tutorial
From closed salons and cosmetic counters to less in-person interactions, there's no doubt, COVID-19 has greatly affected the beauty industry, and now it is starting to impact the way we think about beauty in general.
The stress brought on by staying clear of coronavirus has made us lean towards anything that will make us feel better.
We are shying away from glam and needing healthier skincare products and natural makeup.
Oxygenetix Advisory Board Member, Dr. Alexander Rivkin, was quoted in Refinery 29 stating,
“I think health was assumed before the coronavirus, but that’s not assumed now. Projecting good health is going to be more at the forefront of our minds,” Dr. Rivkin says. “There's going to be a desire to look in the mirror and not see a reflection of someone who looks weak or unhealthy".
What Does "Healthy" Look Like?
We may pay more attention to how healthy someone looks in our post-COVID world than ever before.
While having a symmetrical face and chiseled jawline may have been indicators of health in the past, Robert P. Burriss Ph.D. from Psychology Today advises that "recently researchers have become more interested in face color, and how variation in the redness or yellowness of our skin can make us appear sick as a parrot or as fit as a butcher’s dog."
Medical professionals measure the color of skin as a preliminary diagnosis for overall health. Liver problems such as jaundice show up as a yellowing of the skin, while food poisoning can make us a sickly green. Redness signals inflammation and lack of color can suggest malnourishment.
"Dr. Rivkin points to clear skin, rosy cheeks, and brightness around the eyes as the most obvious facial indicators of health," according to Refinery 29.
How to Get a Naturally Healthy Look
Drink Enough Water
There's truly nothing better for your skin than drinking enough water throughout the day. Water plays an essential role in your skin's vitality.
Water flushes toxins out of your system minimizing blemishes or irritations. Water makes you look healthier by giving you a natural glow and keeping your skin plump and nourished.
How much water should you be drinking exactly? This depends on how much you weigh. You need half an ounce to a full ounce of water per pound that you weigh. So if you weigh 150 pounds, multiply this by 0.5 (150 x 0.5 = 75 ounces) and that is the bare minimum amount of ounces you should be drinking each day.
Keep Your Skin Clean
Cleanse your skin twice daily to wash off debris and bacteria that collect on your face from your pillowcase and the environment. This will help prevent breakouts and will keep your skin clean and clear.
Before bedtime wash your makeup off. Cleanse again to ensure you get any remaining debris left behind.
Healthy skin has an even texture and feels smooth to the touch. Exfoliation is one of the best ways to achieve a healthy glow.
Our skin is constantly renewing itself through a process called cellular turnover. As new skin cells grow, they replace dead cells that sit on the surface. Exfoliation is the removal of dead skin cells, thus promoting smooth and even skin.
Be mindful of how often you exfoliate as excessive exfoliation can cause irritation and harm your delicate epidermis. Dermatologists recommend exfoliating at most 2 to 3 times a week.
It is important to exfoliate using a method that is beneficial for your skin type. Read our article, Exfoliating for Your Skin Type, to see what is best for you. Additionally, ask your dermatologist for any recommendations they may have.
Apply a No-Makeup Makeup Look
- Begin by applying Oxygenating Hydro-Matrix (Acne Control Hydro-Matrix available for acne-prone skin). This dual-action powerplay not only acts as a primer for your foundation, but it also keeps you hydrated without a greasy feel.
- For a lightweight ultra-natural look, mix your Hydro-Matrix with your Oxygenetix Oxygenating Foundation (or Acne Control Foundation) together to create a hydrating tinted moisturizer. Your natural freckles and skin will shine through, but your face will look more even and healthy. If you desire more coverage, Oxygenetix Foundations are buildable and can achieve a full camouflage application without looking cakey.
- Create brightness around your eyes to look awake and refreshed. Using your Oxygenetix Foundation, conceal any dark circles or discoloration on your eyelids. Use a dabbing motion to achieve optimal coverage. Then you can use bright white or shimmery eyeshadow on the inside of your eyelid to make your eyes really pop. Darken your lashes lightly with mascara to define your eyes even more.
- Add color to the apples of your cheeks and cheekbones. Make sure to use a color that compliments your natural skin undertone so it looks natural on you. The best way to do this is to look at the redness your cheeks have naturally and match your blush as close to that color as possible. Choose bronzer the same way, look for a color that matches your skin's natural tan.
- Keep your lips hydrated by drinking enough water and applying lip balms with SPF when you are outside. Apply a light gloss for a natural glowy lip.
Stay happy, stay healthy, and take care of your skin!