How to Workout Without Breaking Out
Are pesky pimples ruining your post-workout glow?
If it seems the more you exercise the more you breakout, they could be intrinsically connected. To tackle this issue, we gathered what leading dermatologists recommend to prevent acne while breaking a sweat.
Possible Causes of Workout Breakouts
According to dermatologists from the American Academy of Dermatology, working out can cause excessive sweating, as well as a buildup of oil, dirt and bacteria on your skin. If proper hygiene isn't used during and after a workout, this sweat and debris can lead to acne.
Your workout equipment might also be the culprit. In fact, there's a scientific name for acne caused by sport equipment and clothing, acne mechanica. Acne mechanica appears in places touching face guards, helmets, chin straps, knee pads or other equipment that rubs against your skin. This type of acne starts as small rough bumps you can't see, but can turn into pimples and even cystic acne.
Tight workout clothing can also cause acne by creating friction and trapping sweat. Common places acne may appear are around bra straps, headbands, or spandex garments.
Hygiene Habits to Prevent Gym Acne
“While exercise itself doesn’t cause acne, the skin care habits you maintain around your workouts can significantly impact your skin,” says board-certified dermatologist Elizabeth Bahar Houshmand, MD, FAAD.
Dermatologists recommend the following to prevent acne while working out:
- Don't wear comedogenic makeup while working out. If you don't want to skip the base, use Oxygenetix Oxygenating Foundation or Acne Control Foundation. These foundations are loved by athletes and fitness junkies, including Spanish Olympic, world, and European champion swimmer Mireia Belmonte and NBC's American Ninja Warrior competitor Pamela Price. Oxygenetix Foundations are breathable, won't clog your pores as you sweat, and will stay put throughout the workout.
- Wear clean, loose-fitting, breathable clothing. This prevents acne causing friction and heat.
- Keep your skin dry. It is recommended to pat your skin dry with a towel, using a fresh one each workout.
- Clean your equipment regularly, especially if it's shared with others. Bacteria on your weights and mats can easily spread to your skin.
- Wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen SPF 30 or higher if exercising outdoors. Besides the obvious benefits of wearing an SPF daily, sun rays can dry out your skin and cause acne. Use one that is oil-free and non-comedogenic.
- Shower immediately after your workout. If you can't shower right away, at least make an effort to change into clean clothes.
Take Control with Oxygenetix Acne Control
Oxygenetix Acne Control products treat, prevent, and conceal acne. Formulated with 2% Salicylic Acid, they work deep within your pores to dissolve acne-causing bacteria. Oxygenetix patented Ceravitae® promotes oxygen uptake to your skin cells with Oxygen for quick and efficient healing. Both the Acne Control Foundation and Hydro-Matrix create a protective barrier on your skin, locking in moisture and keeping pollutants and bacteria out.
You can wear both Acne Control products to your next workout without worrying about clogging your pores or causing acne. Begin with Acne Control Hydro-Matrix to plump the skin and hydrate. Then apply your shade of Acne Control Foundation to safely conceal any redness or pimples.