Expert Advice on How to Keep a Strong Skincare Regimen at Home
What does your at-home skincare routine look like? Are you keeping up with self-care during quarantine?
It can be easy to let our routines fall to the wayside when there is such a big shift to adapt to, and . . . who's looking anyway?
However, keeping up on your skincare game now will not only help you maintain healthy skin but also a healthy mind.
This past week we had the pleasure of connecting on Instagram Live with Graceanne Svendsen, Licensed Master Esthetician, and Holistic Healer from New York City. Known as the "Celebrity Facialist" she is truly a master of her craft and had some great insights for us to share.
Graceanne spoke with Sophia Knapp from the Oxygenetix team discussing skincare and wellness routine tips to adopt while we stay at home.
Here are some of our favorite takeaways for you to try.
Get to Know Your Skin
"You have to get to know your skin. A quarantine situation like this really allows us to dive deep into what works for us."
Graceanne continues, "There is no reason why our at-home game can't be just as tight as when we are seeing our facialist. It is not the same but is very self-healing."
This would be the perfect opportunity for you to try out that new product you've been wanting to test, but never had the time. Or make that DIY mask you've heard so much about.
Take some chances, have fun, and learn what works best for your skin type.
Be advised: Patch test new products or ingredients to check for allergies or adverse effects. What works for someone else may not work for you.
Utilize Facial Tools
There are many skin care tools available online or at your local beauty or drugstore. Here are some of Graceanne's favorites that you can easily find for yourself:
• Exfoliating Loofas or Gloves are great for sloughing off dead skin cells and encouraging blood circulation for smoother, polished-looking skin. Dampen the loofa first, then apply a gentle cleanser. Use gentle upward circular motions with the loofa on your body and neck. If you use a facial loofah, take extra care to be extra gentle and use sparingly.
• Gua Sha Stone for relaxing facial tension. Gua sha stones are commonly made from crystals such as jade or rose quartz. By scraping the stone upwards on your jawline, cheekbones, etc you can tone the skin and improve elasticity. Jade and rose quartz face rollers are also great for blood circulation and relaxation. The therapeutic nature of these crystals is a great addition to any facial you do at home.
Graceanna Svendsen on Youtube - The Skin Saviour
• Derma Rollers to enhance the look and feel of your skin. Graceanne recommends the Environ Cosmetic Gold Roll-Cit, a high-end derma roller you can use at home. Derma rollers have miniature needles on them that puncture the skin microscopically. This slight injury engages the skin's collagen production and creates new, firmer tissue. When used over time, derma rollers reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, uneven skin tone and texture, and even scars. Additionally, derma rollers enhance the absorption of the nutrients in your facial products.
GIVE YOURSELF A FACIAL LIKE A PRO
Put your hair in a bun, or throw on a headband. It's time to pamper yourself like the queen that you are. Here is the basic order to follow when giving yourself the royal treatment.
1. Cleanse your face twice. The first cleanse works to get your makeup and the day off. Use a gentle cleanser and rinse with warm water. Cleanse a second time to prep the skin for the rest of the facial.
2. Steam your skin for 5-10 minutes to open up your pores and release trapped debris. You can do this by putting your face over a bowl of steaming water with a towel to trap in the steam. Another method that works well is putting a hot towel over your face for a few minutes.
3. Use an exfoliator. Physical exfoliants that use granules such as walnut shells or plastics can harm the sensitive outer layer of our skin. Graceanne adds, "I'm a firm believer in gentle exfoliation. You have to get to know your own skin." Chemical exfoliants such as AHA's and BHA's work to gently dissolve dead skin cells. Citric Acid, Salicylic Acid, and Lactic Acids are the most popular.
4. Dab toner all over your face with a cotton ball, focusing on problem areas. If you don't have a toner in your skincare arsenal, dilute apple cider vinegar or lemon juice with water.
5. Apply a face mask and leave it on for 5-10 minutes maximum. Take off your mask immediately if it starts to sting or becomes too dry. Clay masks are great to use once in a while but can strip the skin's natural oils. Moisturizing masks are ideal to maintain a fresh skin glow.
Graceanne's DIY Mask: "Combine wheat germ, safflower oil, oatmeal, 1 egg, and a little bit of brewer's yeast. Apply the mixture to your face and leave on for a few minutes."
6. Lastly, apply a skin protectant like Oxygenetix Hydro-Matrix to replenish moisture loss back into the skin. Hyaluronic Acid and PCA in Hydro-Matrix attract moisture to your skin all day, maintaining an optimal healthy glow. It is crucial you use products that are non-comedogenic and safe for your skin as your face will be more sensitive to ingredients.
Graceanne reminds us, "Just because we're home doesn't necessarily mean we are staying hydrated. This is very important for all skin types and all ages."
Air conditioning or indoor heating can quickly dry out our skin when we stay home. To combat this apply your Oxygenating Hydro-Matrix in the morning and before you go to bed. Hydro-Matrix will protect your skin from the drying effects of your heating or A/C system while actively hydrating skin cells.
Be mindful to also drink enough water to flush out any toxins that could show up on your face like an unwanted pimple.
PUT YOUR BEST FACE FORWARD
Whether or not anyone will see your beautiful face today, it is still beneficial to get ready each morning.
Vivian Diller, Ph.D. told Byrdie, "Habitual behaviors help us to clear our minds. Like rhythmic breathing during meditation, morning beauty routines induce a feeling of calmness and control."
In a time that can be very anxiety-inducing, staying consistent with morning and bedtime routines can make us feel more in control and stable.
For a quick pick me up in the morning, splash cold water on your face, apply your Oxygenetix Hydro-Matrix and Oxygenating Foundation, brush your eyebrows, and apply some mascara. You'll be amazed at how much better you feel.
Graceanne Svendsen LE, CME Licensed Esthetician
Follow Graceanne Svendsen on Youtube and Instagram @therealskinsaviour for more at-home tips and skin treatments.